Submission guidelines for the Illinois Qualitative Dissertation Award
The International center for Qualitative Inquiry is pleased to announce the annual Illinois Qualitative Dissertation Award, for excellence in qualitative research in a doctoral dissertation. Eligible dissertations will use and advance qualitative methods to investigate any topic. Applications for the award will be judged by the following criteria: clarity of writing; willingness to experiment with new and traditional writing forms; advocacy, promotion, development, and use of qualitative research methodologies and practices in new fields of study, and in policy arenas involving issues of social justice.
There are two award categories, experimental (Category A), and traditional or a combination of methodological strategies (Category B). Submissions are expected to address social justice issues. Category A submissions experiment with traditional writing and representational forms. Submissions in Category B use traditional qualitative research and writing forms, including a combination of methodological strategies.
All doctoral candidates are eligible, provided they have successfully defended their dissertations within the past three years. Receiving or being considered for other awards does not preclude a student from applying for this award . Applications are due 16 January. The award, co-sponsored with Sage Publications, Left Coast Press, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, and MAXQDA/VERBI will be made at the closing townhall meeting of the Congress.During the Congress award winners will be showcased in a spotlight panel, where they will be expected to present a sample of their work. Award winners will be announced by 16 March.
Applicants must submit one (1) hard copy and one (1) electronic copy of the following documents:
- A cover letter indicating interest in the award that includes the applicant’s name, address, university, telephone number, email address, department, date of dissertation proposal defense, the current status of the dissertation, and the category to which the applicant is applying (Category A=Experimental; Category B=Traditional or Mixed-Methods)
- A letter from the applicant’s dissertation advisor/chair recommending the applicant’s work for the award and verifying the date of the dissertation proposal defense. (note: this letter may be sent under separate cover).
- A research description of no more than five (5) double-spaced pages: approximately two (2) pages of introduction and theory, two (2) pages on the methodology, and one (1) page on the significance of the work. Finalists may be asked to submit their full proposal or additional information at a latter date.
- One (1) sample chapter from the dissertation that shows through example your direct engagement with qualitative inquiry.
- Table of Contents from the dissertation
The hard copy should be mailed to:Illinois Qualitative Dissertation Award
c/o Norman Denzin
Institute of Communications Research
University of Illinois
229 Gregory Hall
810 S. Wright St.
Urbana, Illinois, USA 61801
The electronic copy should be submitted via e-mail as attachments (PDF format or MS-Word only) to email@example.com
Note: An application will not be considered complete until both hard copy and electronic copy are received in our office.